Friday, January 1, 2016

1/1/2016

     Would it be too cliché for me to say that 2016 is going to be the best year yet or is it just optimistic? I need a little optimism right now even if I have to phone it in. Tomorrow I will finish the baby's room, in two days he will be 5 months old, and in three days I start a brand new job in an industry I have only read about. That, along with taking a pay cut because I was fired in, which will soon be known as, the worst recession in ten years in Oklahoma will make this a very interesting year. This blog will be dedicated to the much overdue upswing my in life.
     Monday I start working for State Farm insurance with Kenneth James a well established agent on Classen in Oklahoma City. Ask me what I know about insurance. No really, go ahead. Well, since I passed the state insurance exams in Property/Casualty and Health/Life in the last month I can tell you that I, at least, know what insurance is and I am very good at taking tests. *insert nervous laugh* Have you ever heard of the 80/20 rule? Just to recap just in case you haven't. The 80/20 rule is a rule on the intake of information. It hypothesizes that when you learn something you are only permanently retaining 20% of that information. The other 80% goes in one ear and out the other. Since I was sure the 80/20 rule applied to those tests I crammed for both and passed which allowed 80+% of that information to slowly run out of my ears and fall onto the ground. Honestly in some professions it is better to come in a blank slate. I really hope that is the case with this new job. I am also hoping that the 12 years experience I have in sales and on the phone drive my performance and I can fill in the blanks as I go. That has been my life. I have winged more things than I would like to admit. Some instances still haunt me. I am my own worst critic and beat myself up when things are not perfect. I need to wake up and realize that life is not perfect. There is your career, your family, your fitness/diet, and your sanity and you get to pick three. This year I have been overly ambitious. I have detailed a three year plan and will share it with you in increments to keep you coming back. I will also share with you my journey to check all of the things off the list.
     If you are still reading at this point welcome to New Mandy 2016 and Beyond:



Short-Term Goals:
                10 days: Professional:
1.       Pass the State Insurance Exams.
2.       Find the perfect first day outfit.
3.       Find and purchase the perfect planner.
4.       Find and purchase the perfect desk calendar.
5.       Find and purchase new pens.
6.       Wash Car.
7.       Clean out car.
10 days: Personal:
1.       Find out why my check engine light is on.
2.       Put stickers on my car.
3.       Get eyebrows done.
4.       Get a haircut.
5.       Figure out how to fix my hair in a way that makes me look classy.
6.       Continue to breastfeed my son.

     Some of these things may seem silly to you but for those of us that are obsessed with office supplies new planners, calendars, and pens are heaven. Any opportunity to buy office supplies is a good day. Appearances are important to me when I am starting a new job. I want to show them the best me. Right now the best me isn't that great so I will need to polish myself up right nice. Clean and professional is my visual goal for Monday.
     I have already impressed my new boss. When I interviewed with him around 12/12 I told him I could do the job and he had this to say a few days ago after I posted that I had accomplished my goal of becoming licensed in one month:

Kenneth James
Kenneth James Awesome job!!! You sat across my desk and said you could get licenced on your own and you made it happen. We look forward to working with you. Happy New Year to you and yours. Have some fun this weekend you earned it.

 He was hesitant that it could be done in one month. My cocky self thought, "Well you haven't met me." When I put my mind to something there isn't much that will slow me down. I should really think more about my weight.

I will close with a funny picture that I have stolen off the internet because I love them. My screen saver is 4000+ pictures that I love from the internet scrolling randomly. I find it entertaining.






1 comment:

  1. Love this! Love your personal goal of finding out why the check engine light is on in your car. Funny, I need to do the same thing. :)

    ReplyDelete